Thursday, April 11, 2013

Reliable Sources for Research


The topic I chose to explore for my research paper includes how parents are key players in the battle against child obesity. My research paper will attempt to persuade my audience of why it is important that parents introduce and continuously practice healthy eating habits in order to help their children maintain a healthy weight. The struggle to fight child obesity is extremely important, because the habits children practice now are more than likely to be carried throughout their adulthood. Obesity is a very serious matter, because it is directly related to many life-threatening diseases.  I am thrilled I got to choose a topic that I am interested in to research and learn more about. I began using Google Scholar to search for scholarly and creditable articles related to my topic to investigate more about the parental role is related to obesity in kids. 

One of the sources I located on Google Scholar was indeed a scholarly and creditable source because; it shared original research, included scholarly authors (Dr. Golan and Dr. Crow), abstracts, and it was a bit lengthy. It was published by the International Life Sciences Institute witch fits under both scholarly and creditable categories. Dr. Golan and Dr. Crow introduce that because parents provide a child’s contextual environment, they should be considered key players in interventions aimed at preventing or treating weight related problems. They focus on how parenting feeding style are crucial factors in the development healthy lifestyle awareness. The Dr.’s mention how effective methods of prevention and treatment of weight-related problems should focus on being health-centered rather than from a weight-centered perspective.

This nutrition related article has done a superb job of presenting factual and reliable means of information about how parents are in fact enormous key players of the health conditions that their children are in. After reading this article I would no doubt second-guess my parental role on my child’s health-related behaviors if I had not already stressed its importance. How do you feel about parents’ role in child nutrition? Do you think parents are a factor in why their children are overweight?


3 comments:

  1. I agree that parents have a very strong role in fighting against childhood obesity. It's a very sad thing to see young children you are already overwieght. They don't have any idea what they are getting themselves into really. It's definitely on the parents of young children to make sure they grow up healthy and don't become overweight at a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering how reliable Google Scholar really is, because I had my doubts. But this is helpful, it looks like you found a scholarly and credible source from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about doing a topic that involved obesity as well! Parents really do play a strong role in fighting against childhood obesity, to a certain extent. One can only hope that the values and lifestyle they bestow on their child, will better them in life and keep them safe.

    ReplyDelete