Thursday, April 4, 2013

Six-Year Old Drumming Prodigy


My mouth dropped wide open when watching the YouTube video of the 6-six-year old drumming prodigy Avery Molek. I couldn’t believe how someone so young could obtain a talent so great. Once you watch this video you too will be amazed at this six year olds breathtaking ability. According to the ABC News article, almost instantly after little Avery Molek’s drumming video was posted it became a YouTube sensation, and his parents were scheduling his own tours.

What is really special about Avery’s parents is that they are not pushy like a lot of parents wanting their talented children to gain fame. For example, the Toddlers and Tiaras show on TLC presents many of the parents spending an endless amount of money and time to better their child’s chances at wining the crown. I’ve noticed that most times the parents want the victory more than their kids, as if they are forcing them to compete.

Mr. and Mrs. Molek claim, “If he doesn’t have fun and doesn’t enjoy it, we wont do it… that’s our gauge.”

I wish more parents would realize when their children are unhappy, and let them participate in activities that they actually enjoy. I believe a lot parents are trying to live their dreams through their children, which is not fair to them.

How much do you think parents should push children in extra curricular activities? Do you think certain cultures push their children more than other cultures? If your child were to obtain a spectacular talent and they didn't want to pursue it, would you still force them?

5 comments:

  1. I think there is a fine balance between encouraging and pushing your child. I completely agree, some of the parents on popular TV shows are way over the line. I think my kid was really good at something, but did not enjoy it, I would not force them to continue on with it. On the other hand, if they tried something and were not good at it at first, I would encourage them not to quit instantly and try to persevere for a little bit. Then if they still did not enjoy the activity, I would let them try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think sometimes there is a preoccupation with general busy-ness in American culture - so much so that kids today are innundated with extracurricular activities. One or two activities seems acceptable, but having kids join in four or five activities seems excessive. People make the argument that they become "well rounded" but I also think that unstructured playtime and leisure are essential to children's (and adults') wellbeing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think children should be forced to do something that they dislike, but I do think that there are appropriate situations where parents need to push their children to "eat their broccoli", figuratively speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you. I have seen many parents re-living their childhood through their children, which I think is unfair to the kids. It is one thing if the child has their own goals and work hard to achieve them. It is normal for parents to encourage children to reach their goals, however sometimes parents become too extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe parents should let their kids have fun in their extracurricular activities and not push them until they don't enjoy it anymore. Even if a child doesn't want to do said thing at a young age later in life they may realize that they are good at it and want to. As a figure skater I see parents dragging screaming kids to the ice rink all of the time and don't agree with it.

    ReplyDelete